The message the GOP is basically sending is that sex doesn't have a part in the workplace, so birth control should not be mandatory under employer health plans.
Here's the thing- I didn't get on birth control for the purpose of safe sex, I wasn't sexually active when I got on it. I made a whole post about it way back in June.
I got on birth control because my cycle was causing me to be faint, throw up, miss school, and have extreme pain. I missed school and other obligations because of something I cannot help just like MANY other women.
There is already the gender pay gap, so women missing work for something that can easily be avoided is just adding to an underrated economic crisis. Not to mention tampons, pads, liners and other women's hygiene products are not FREE. You can go to the health teacher and get free condoms like candy, but things that are related to women's health is off the table.
I once saw a pack of 20 tampons for $13. For some context, I went through six a day for the first three days of my period and then two a day for three more days before I got on birth control because my bleeding was that heavy. I'm not the only one. It may not seem like much but that's a price for tampons /alone/ which adds up quickly.
All of the "facts" these old men are giving out are incorrect and it has consequences. One time my male teacher wouldn't let me go to the bathroom so I finally said I needed to change my tampon in front of thirty of my peers and he said: "well just hold it." I then proceeded to tell him I'd get blood from vagina on the chair and he grudgingly let me go to the bathroom. By the time this encounter was over I would have been back in my seat and the lesson would not have been delayed for my classmates. This isn't reality, it's bigotry.
Even on to the matter of pregnancy prevention. Providing women these contraceptives makes them more productive in the workplace and miss less work. What's the problem with that? Isn't that one of the "reasons" these same politicians are using for keeping a pay gap?
And before someone brings it up- there is a difference between abortion and birth control, but that's a story for another day.
The sexist lawmakers are using scary words like "sex" and "PMS" to lie about the reason women are been cheated out on and are angry.
This is sexism. Not lawful. Not valid. Sexist.
Comments
Post a Comment