It's officially time for Summer Sexism!
So I was minding my own business studying in Starbucks STUDYING, then I notice this guy in his mid-twenties staring at me while he was waiting for his drink. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and think he wasn't looking at my body (wearing a tank top and shorts) and just looking for a seat. I turn away and try to ignore it. Then he comes and sits next to me and scoots his chair really close. So this is a long table with lots of open seating at the moment. He chooses to sit right next to me and move his chair so close to me that our elbows are almost touching. I couldn't even read a sentence out of my text book because I was so freaked out and and disgusted. Then I left the Starbucks all together.
Sure, I was could have packed up all of my pencils, pens, notebook, text book and study guide into my back pack and then move to the other side of the room. The thing is though, I shouldn't have to accommodate myself to him. I shouldn't have to stop my school work, pause my life, lose a few waking minutes because this guy decided it was okay to look at me like I was his sex object.
Why do I have to cover up and not where weather appropriate clothes in nearly 80 degrees weather to be even slightly treated like a fellow human? Why does this guy who is signifcantly older than me get to visibly creep me out without a care in the world? I mean I'm sitting here trying to do something as innocent and mature as schoolwork. I'm sitting here minding my own business. I'm sitting here as a human being- yet this guy is blind to all of that.
The worst part is- this is not the last time it will happen in the next few months. This is only the beginning. I know for me, the summer is the worst. Yes this happens during the rest of the year too, but this happens daily during the heat. Daily. So to all of you who think I should just get over this or it's not a big deal. Re-read that event. Imagine that happening more than once a day, because I don't want to get a heat stroke in high degrees weather.
So it's officially Summer Sexism time. I'll make sure to make my pepper spray a bit more visible.
So I was minding my own business studying in Starbucks STUDYING, then I notice this guy in his mid-twenties staring at me while he was waiting for his drink. I wanted to give the benefit of the doubt and think he wasn't looking at my body (wearing a tank top and shorts) and just looking for a seat. I turn away and try to ignore it. Then he comes and sits next to me and scoots his chair really close. So this is a long table with lots of open seating at the moment. He chooses to sit right next to me and move his chair so close to me that our elbows are almost touching. I couldn't even read a sentence out of my text book because I was so freaked out and and disgusted. Then I left the Starbucks all together.
Sure, I was could have packed up all of my pencils, pens, notebook, text book and study guide into my back pack and then move to the other side of the room. The thing is though, I shouldn't have to accommodate myself to him. I shouldn't have to stop my school work, pause my life, lose a few waking minutes because this guy decided it was okay to look at me like I was his sex object.
Why do I have to cover up and not where weather appropriate clothes in nearly 80 degrees weather to be even slightly treated like a fellow human? Why does this guy who is signifcantly older than me get to visibly creep me out without a care in the world? I mean I'm sitting here trying to do something as innocent and mature as schoolwork. I'm sitting here minding my own business. I'm sitting here as a human being- yet this guy is blind to all of that.
The worst part is- this is not the last time it will happen in the next few months. This is only the beginning. I know for me, the summer is the worst. Yes this happens during the rest of the year too, but this happens daily during the heat. Daily. So to all of you who think I should just get over this or it's not a big deal. Re-read that event. Imagine that happening more than once a day, because I don't want to get a heat stroke in high degrees weather.
So it's officially Summer Sexism time. I'll make sure to make my pepper spray a bit more visible.
Comments
Post a Comment