Skip to main content

6.28.2017

Summer sexism two:
Was walking down the street when some big construction workers started ogling me. One said "hey baby wanna take a walk with me?" I lied and said I was a minor and told him to shut up. He then started saying loudly and rudely to move a long since I was a minor. I yelled at him and called him disgusting and that he shouldn't treat women that way. His friends laughed and the boy (not man regardless of his age) put his fingers in his ears saying he couldn't hear me. I got angrier and he told me his friends were laughing because I was still talking. It was so demeaning to be treated like a sexual object and then mocked for reacting negatively. I know many people will say I should have ignored it, but I refuse to be treated like that. I wish I had maybe said something a bit more creative than "disgusting" but I was mad, scared and provoked.
I know they said it mainly because I'm wearing shorts and a tank top but it's 86 degrees! Why should I have to accommodate my wardrobe to men? Men who were obviously clueless.
Jokes on them... I told an officer who was directing traffic and he said he'd send someone down there right away.

Comments